With its beautiful weather and scenery, Florida is a great place to ride a motorcycle. Second to only California, Florida has more registered motorcycles than any other state in the nation. Unfortunately, Florida roads are not always safe for motorcyclists, and dozens are killed or injured in accidents every day.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a number of common situations where a negligent driver can cause a motorcycle accident, including:
- Rear-end Collisions—motorcycles have a lower profile than a car, and if a driver is not paying attention or tailgating, they may be struck from behind. This can be very dangerous for a motorcyclist who can be thrown over their handlebars and sustain serious injuries.
- Left Turn Collisions—drivers who make left turns in front of oncoming motorcycles can cause serious collisions. It is more difficult to judge the speed of an oncoming motorcycle, but it is important for drivers to ensure they have time to turn.
- Head-on Collisions—these collisions can be deadly for a motorcyclist and are usually the result of distracted or impaired driving.
- Unsafe Lane Changes—a very common cause of motorcycle accidents is when a driver makes an unsafe lane change and strikes a motorcycle. Drivers need to be sure to check their blind spots before changing lanes as motorcycles may be more difficult to see.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists don’t have the protection of a steel frame, airbags, and safety features like the occupants of cars do. Therefore, they are prone to very serious injuries if they are involved in an accident. Some common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Head injury—even if a motorcyclist is wearing a helmet, they can still experience a head injury. These injuries can range from a concussion to serious traumatic brain injury.
- Fractures—in a collision, a motorcyclist can hit the pavement hard. This can result in numerous bone fractures.
- Spinal cord injuries—the impact can also result in spinal cord injuries, including partial or total paralysis.
- Internal injuries—organ damage and internal bleeding caused by blunt force as well as penetrating injuries from debris and glass are common in motorcycle accidents.
Contact an Experienced Accident Attorney
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, you should consult with an experienced accident attorney. Gregg Goldfarb has been helping accident victims in Florida for over 20 years. Contact us online or call us at 305-374-7000 to schedule a free consultation.